The civil services examination comprises two successive stages:
- civil services ( preliminary) examination ( objective type) for the selection of candidates for main examination; and
- civil services( main) examination ( written and interview) for the selection of candidates for the various services and posts.
the examination comprises two compulsory paper of 200 marks each.
- both the question papers will be objective type ( multiple type questions).
- the question paper will be set both in Hindi and English. However, question relating to English language comprehension skills of class 10th level will be Tested through passages from English language only without providing Hindi translation there of India question paper.
the written examination will consist of the following papers:
Paper A: one of the Indian language to be selected by the candidate from the language is included in the 8th schedule to the constitution 300 marks
Paper B: English 300 marks
the paper on Indian languages and English ( paper A and paper B) will be of matriculation or equivalent standard and will be of qualifying nature. the marks obtained in these papers will not be counted for ranking.
Papers to be counted for merit:
paper I: essay 250 marks
Paper II: general studies – I 250 marks
( Indian Heritage and Culture, history and geography of the world and Society)
Paper III: general studies – III 250 marks
( Governance, Polity, Social Justice and International relations)
Paper – IV: II general studies – III 250 marks
( Technology, economic development, biodiversity, environment, society and disaster management)
Paper V : General studies – IV 250 marks
( ethics, integrity and aptitude)
Paper VI: optional subject – paper 1 250 marks
Paper VII: optional subject – paper 2 250 marks
Sub Total ( written test) 1750 marks
Personality test 275 marks
Grand total 2025 marks
List of optional subject for Mains examination:
- animal husbandry and veterinary science
- civil engineering
- commerce and accountancy
- electrical engineering
- mechanical engineering
- medical science
- Political Science and international relations
- public administration
- literature of any of the following : Assamese, Bengali, Dogri Gujarati Hindi Kashmiri, Kannada, Konkani, Maithili, Malayalam, Manipuri, Marathi, Nepali, Oriya, Punjabi, Sanskrit, Santhali, Sindhi, Tamil, Telugu, Urdu, and English